Nite Ize Meteor Light Night-Play Ball

Glow Time! For easy-breezy, night-time fun...

What dog is ready to stop play when the sun goes down? Well now there is no need to run indoors as the sun sets or lose those valuable balls to the dark. This super-glow orb is really great night-time fun for you and your dog.

The Meteor Light Ball is made of hard rubber, is tennis ball size (2.55") and fits into most all ball launchers. It is water resistant and can get wet, but may not be considered a water toy for obvious reasons, although it does float. This product is loved by many users. The best upside is it allows you to play with your dog after work on those short winter days.

The ball comes in your choice of always red, blue, or green, or in the disco-o version that changes colors on the fly - very exciting! The battery life is 20-30 hours of "on" time. It comes with a battery, but an extra is suggested for purchase right away so as not to dissapoint when your dog falls in love with it.

There is an easy on-off switch. Some report that it is not so easy that their dog can turn it on and off, while others say that their dog sometimes turns it on or off by themselves when playing with it.

The battery is relatively easy to change, but can require a screwdriver, as it is a plastic plug that fits snugly into the ball. Some have reported trouble getting the plug out and others have reported that the plug has popped out when hitting the ground. Some sleuth dogs have been known to remove the battery cover all by themselves. Problems are occuring in about 8% of cases, while the other 92% seem to really love this ball a whole lot.

In my opinion, this ball is quite sturdy for a product of this type, but it is far from indestructable and there are chances when purchasing any product of this type. Since it is a ball with parts and electronics, there is obviously more risk for something to go wrong than with a regular ball. I consider it well priced for the complexity of the ball and have spent as much or more for a non-electronic whiz-bang ball for my dog.

Another upside is that it has a 2-year unlimited waranty. While returning anything takes time and effort, your ten bucks can be refunded or a replacement sent. Personally , I think this ball is so spectacular and fun, it was well worth taking the chance on the moving parts and my dog is super glad I did, which is why I am featuring it here.

Please take time to read the Basic Facts about dogs and toys:

The Basic Bite Facts: There is no ball that will hold up to every single dog out there, as no material is perfect, but this ball will hold up very well for most. The canine jaw is extremely powerful.

The exact power of the canine jaw varies with length, size and width of the jaw, and as you might imagine, also varies among individuals. Actual power also relates to age and how much that dog exercises those muscles. Additionally, bite power is reflective of individual drive (how much the dog wants to take the bite) and whether or not the dog tends to munch at the front or back of the mouth. The front of the mouth offers less leverage, and thus less power, than the back.

Averages of jaw strength were measured in a recent study on a bite sleeve between an American Pit Bull, a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler. The average bite strength was determined at 269 pounds of pressure. Having the long/widest mouth ratio, the Rottweiler topped the group with 328 pounds of bite pressure. I do not know whether the study took into account placement of the bites or whether enough individual dogs were tested to get a good average sampling of each breed, but what I do know is 269 pounds is a lot of pressure!

The Toy Truth: So, dog toy manufacturers really have their work cut out for them and many are doing a pretty good job. I know we all want those toys to last as long as possible. You can definitely see trends as to which toys last better and which don't. But the truth is, every product will be able to be destroyed by some champion chewer out there.

I have tried to present only the best made, most doggy-appealing, and most durable toys for you. And, we all know, no toy is perfect for everyone. I only hope the extra information I am providing you on each and every toy will help you make a wiser purchase and one that will be as satisfying as possible for you and your best furry friend.

Supervision is Neccessary: All toy play must be supervised with dogs, as dogs are quite amazing in their ability to shred, destroy, and swallow items, some in record time. Still, all balls of palm size and smaller are able to be swallowed by dogs and thus, care should be taken with their use. You know your own dog and how much you might need to supervise their play. All puppies should be very carefully supervised.